Monday, November 15, 2010

Hello & Welcome!

Hi there! I am so glad you came by. I am writing about life from the perspective of a 30 something Christian woman who is a full-time stay at home mom after working outside the home for ten years. I spent most of that time as a public school teacher. I taught English to middle schoolers. ;-) I also was hired for my "dream job" to serve as the women's ministry coordinator for a mega church in the Houston area. After fourteen months, we realized the position was too demanding for a mom of young children. My husband and I are raising a middle schooler and elementary aged child. There has been no job position I've ever held that gives me more complete joy and satisfaction that being a full-time homemaker. There's something that just seems so right about my being home. I don't mean right in the sense that if you work outside the home you are wrong....but right as in the sense that things in our family world seem "right" with me fully available to our children and my husband to be a helpmeet at all times. For the first time in ten plus years, I feel like I can literally stop and gaze into my children's eyes with no thought of fleeting minutes until I have to get something done for an outside employer. I will be writing of the simple activities and experiences this "first year" stay at home momma has. I find so MUCH pleasure and joy in what most would consider mundane. I just want to write about it. I don't really know if anyone else will be interested or not, but it will give me a way to journal my life's experiences. Come along and see what joy there is in the simple life!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Can't wait to read all your stories involving that little girl I love so much! :)

Ruth said...

:-) Awww...thanks Kerri! I'm sure there'll be more than a few...LOL....she's a hoot.

Sherri said...

i can't wait for that day as well...when i get to stay at home and take care of my family. not many things give me as much satisfaction as meeting the needs of my husband...sounds kind of old-fashioned, but oh, well. i hope to be a stay at home mom by the time our little one turns 1.

Megan said...

Somehow I missed the fact that you are staying home this year. Wow! I'd love to pick your brain sometime as we contemplate the possibility of my getting a job in the next couple of years...I don't want to, but I may need to. :(

Ruth said...

Sherri,
You are going to be a GREAT mom! I am so thrilled that you are expecting....you'll be that mom who has a healing touch and just the right combination of medicine to help your little ones anytime they are sick...that will be such a comfort to them as they grow knowing their mama was a pharmacist. :-)

Megan,
Yes...I love this life. It was our original intention when Kenney went to law school...but it took us a little longer than we thought to get our ducks in a row! We really downsized last summer and bought our smallest and oldest house yet!
;-) However, it is totally our favorite home we've ever had. It has unique features that made it desirable regardless of its size, and we don't want to ever leave. It's home. :-) The mortgage payment makes it very feasible for me to be home...our family has so much time together because I pick the kids up from school...do snacks with them...help them with homework...take walks...etc...then on weekends I'm all caught up on laundry and grocery shopping so rather than do all that then as when I worked...I get to spend all weekend with Kenney and kids. LOL...
But...none of knows the future. I realize that if something happened and I needed to work again, I'm willing and capable. I'd love to visit with you about your possible decision. And...a working mom is NOT the end of the world by any means. We had a LOT of good times, too, when I worked. We've had to do more "at home" entertainment than before and eaten out MUCH, MUCH, MUCH less now that I'm home. I'll pray for you as you consider possibilities...you have so many talents...and you are a real writer...you've been published, right? you've written articles for a magazine...that says a LOT about your skills. Plus, you have a great education. :-) Sorry I rambled so much....as you can see...I'm always willing to talk
;-)
By the way...I can't wait to see your parents next week!!!!